Earlier this week I accidentally came across a video from a multinational that makes enterprise software aimed to help organizations better manage operations and customer relations. This video features the company’s top honcho who talks at length about how their company is establishing trust with customers and employees using ’empathy’. To set the context for the commentary below, I have been tracking this company over the past decade and have a solid understanding of their technology, operations, people, and culture.
On that note, I have to be honest and say it as it is, these statements from this top honcho are nothing but pieces of fiction. I can talk to lengths about how this organization has for years (and continues to) force customers to renew contracts on the back of license compliance. So the reason for customers still staying with them isn’t technology but a near lock-in situation. So when the honcho of such an organization talks about empathy, I am compelled to call it anything but real (read fake).
Btw, I have chosen to not name this organization since the idea of this research report isn’t to hurt them, but instead, throw light on a critical topic from which everyone can learn. With this as the premise, I decided to run a quick poll on Twitter (embed below).
Quick #Poll – When a multi billion dollar IT company known for pushing their products talks about empathy, would you believe them at all?
— Sanchit Vir Gogia (@s_v_g) September 12, 2017
As you can see for yourself, I’m not the only one who doesn’t trust such messages. Albeit 27% respondents (total of 52) are still willing to give such companies a chance to prove their sermons on empathy, a majority 73% are not willing to trust them at all.
The way I see it – Empathy isn’t a mere marketing message but a way of life. If you aren’t practising it, don’t preach it. Worse still, don’t say it out loud.
Copyright © 2017 Greyhound Knowledge Group. All rights reserved. You may share this research note using the options made available. Please don’t copy this research note (complete or parts) and distribute over the web and emails. Connect with us if you need clarifications. This research report was originally published on Greyhound website.
Have a question on this or other technology and innovation topics? Wish to understand what this means for your business? Click here to engage with a Greyhound Analyst.
Like this insight? Sign up for our newsletter to get our latest insights.
Wish to read more such Insights That Inspire? Access scores of other Free, Freemium and Premium Insights from the menu above.
Sanchit Vir Gogia: Sanchit is the Chief Analyst, Founder & CEO of Greyhound Knowledge Group, a Global Strategy & Transformation Research, Advisory & Consulting Group. To read more about him, click here.
Note for IT Decision Makers – Join Our Exclusive Community! Greyhound Research values your opinion and invites IT Decision Makers and Business Leaders involved in IT projects to join our exclusive, invite-only Greyhound Golden Gate (GQube) Councils. If your project is exclusive and we have your permission, we will write a research note about you and share it with the larger community. Over and beyond, this also gives you access to some of our thought-leading research and analysts. Please write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll take it further from there!
Note for IT Vendors, Telecom Operators and Channel Partners – Did you see our Research Agenda? We have organised all of our insights in a way that allows you to better filter and read what works best for you. Please write to us on email@example.com and we’ll gladly share a copy of the research agenda with you.