Times have changed, and so has the use of smartphones. From the earlier simplistic use of fetching email and contacts, smartphones are now the powerhouse for consumers and business users who use mobile gadgets for accessing applications and surf the web. This change in consumer behaviour away from traditional devices and platforms to richer operating systems and form factors is significantly impacting the enterprises.
To better understand this change, Greyhound Research, the IT research and advisory arm of Greyhound Knowledge Group conducted a survey of 300 senior IT decision makers in the APJ and MEA regions. The study covered seven key verticals including Manufacturing, Retail, Professional Services, Media & Entertainment among others.
Some of the key trends that emerged from this study are:
- In emerging markets, Apple products are making their presence felt in the enterprise. 39% of respondents reported using one or more apple products at the workplace – this includes personally owned devices. Interestingly, while iPhone and iPad continue to be the most used apple product, Mac is increasingly gaining traction.
- So who’s using Apple products? Survey tells us apple users are spread across multiple types – while the younger population in APJ and MEA continues to lead adoption, the senior, well paid executives are the next biggest base of users for Apple’s products.
- IT teams now support the Apple family of products, with iPhone and iPad as key priority. While enterprise IT teams continue to use and support windows as the primary platform, they are increasingly supporting (or planning) to support Apple’s products. 41% organizations in emerging markets are currently or planning to support iPhone and 37% for iPad. While more than 35% stated to have or working on policies to allow Mac personal computers to replace Windows PC, currently only 25% actively support them.
- Google Android is not a platform of choice for enterprises in emerging markets. While Google’s Android platform continues to be well received by consumers, decision makers remain unsure about supporting Android fully in the enterprise. Many reasons contribute to this including irregularity of support for OS upgrades, bigger base of end-users demanding iPhone and iPad support, a weak app marketplace strategy among others.
“Enterprises in APJ and MEA regions are clearly beginning to bite the apple! While this definitely raises a question on the dominance of Windows, Greyhound Research believes Windows continues to be the platform of choice for enterprises for the foreseeable future”, says Sanchit Vir Gogia, Chief Analyst and Group CEO of Greyhound Research. “However, with increasing need to support Apple’s products, IT decision makers must watch out for potential areas of pitfall”, he added.
The survey identified the following areas that every enterprise considering supporting Apple products should keep in mind before launching a support policy for Apple’s products:
- A policy that supports and fills Apple’s weak links for the enterprise.
- Commitment from senior executives and dedicated budget to invest in skills, tools and best practices to better manage devices and PCs.
- Crafting a BYOD policy that allows users to use their personal Apple products (or others like Google) and yet adhere to security.
- A policy for using iCloud and similar cloud storage services in the enterprise.
- Building corporate app stores given the current unavailability of Apple Volume Purchase Program (VPP) in emerging countries except Australia and New Zealand.
About Greyhound Research
Greyhound Research is an independent IT research & advisory firm that helps clients with fact-based insights, relevant perspectives and realistic opinions. With key focus on all things emerging – business themes, roles, technologies, geographies and verticals – Greyhound Research works with both end-users and vendors. Greyhound Research is a division of Greyhound Knowledge Group.
About Greyhound Knowledge Group
Greyhound Knowledge Group is built on the ethos of a research – led approach. Our mission is to be the most trusted group in the research & advisory business in emerging markets. We believe in challenging conventions and are committed to change the way research is executed and consumed. This, we believe, will help our customers make decisions that add value to their routine tasks.
In addition to Greyhound Research, the group also has interests in Consumer Research & Innovation and Technology & Telecom Executive Search:
- Greyhound Sculpt: Greyhound Sculpt is a boutique consumer research firm focused on delivering fact-based and relevant insights for complex assignments like brand personification, positioning studies, market entry strategies among others.
- Greyhound Technocrat Search: Greyhound Technocrat Search is an executive search firm focused on the technology and telecom sector in emerging markets. With focus on three verticals – CIO & Team, Vendors & Channel Partners, KPO & Analytics – the company aligns the best of both functional and sector expertise.
Connect with us at:
Greyhound Sculpt | W greyhoundsculpt.com | T @GreyhoundSculpt
Greyhound Research | W greyhoundresearch.com | T @GreyhoundR
Greyhound Technocrat Search | W greyhoundtechsearch.com | T @GreyhoundTS
For media queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org